(530) 642-8614 | office@oneloosetoothdental.com | 596 Main St, Placerville, CA 95667

Mercury Free Dentistry

Dental amalgam fillings, which are made with a mixture of mercury, silver, copper, tin, and sometimes zinc, are still used in the United States and a number of other countries. Often called “silver fillings,” all dental amalgams are 45-55% elemental mercury.
Mercury is toxic, and this poison is recognized as a chemical of major concern because it poses a dangerous threat to public health. Mercury accumulates in the body, and any amount of mercury taken into the body should be considered hazardous.

For these reasons, we only place BPA-free composite (white) fillings for direct restorations.

Safe Mercury Removal

The process of drilling out amalgam fillings liberates quantities of mercury vapor and fine particulates that can be inhaled and absorbed in the lungs, and this is potentially harmful to patients, dentists, dental workers, and even their fetuses.

For these reasons, we follow IAOMT guidelines and are a SMART certified office. (Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique) These techniques include the following:

  1. High-speed aerosol vacuum
  2. Protective gowns for dentist, staff, and impermeable barrier for patients
  3. Oral isolation device
  4. Copious amounts of water and high-speed evacuation device
  5. External oxygen delivered via nasal cannula
  6. Charcoal slurry absorbent